Monday, June 21, 2010

Toilet paper roll art

Another one of our recycling lessons involved toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls. I came across this picture on another crafter's blog and thought it was a fantastic idea!
Isn't this beautiful?! Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of wall space for something this size, but I do have a tiny spot in our master bathroom.

So I grabbed 4 toilet paper rolls.....and flattened them out.

Then I marked off each roll and cut them into 1/2 inch increments.

I hot glued the corners together into tail-like shapes, and then glued each tail gether to form a group of four.



I glued them into two rows and then glued the two rows together to make a small scroll pattern.


Instead of painting them a bright color, I decided to spray just a light coat of brown to make it look a little rusted, like iron.

Then I hung it in the bathroom...before....

and after...

Then, I just started playing with what I had left over and made some squares that I painted black. They almost look like iron candle holders...which could be done as well. The possibilities on this are endless.

10 comments:

  1. This is very cool! Do you mind if I feature this on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, that would be great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks terrific, how creative you are! Nice blog you have :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are so cute! I'm curious, what did you use to hang them on the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who was the other crafter... you didn't link back to her blog and it would be nice to give credit where it's due and also allow others to see what else she's posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's The How To Gal as seen in the photo. I thought I had it set up to link back if you click on it.. Her name is on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's The How To Gal as seen in the photo. I thought I had it set up to link back if you click on it.. Her name is on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone else has tried this, please post some pics! I'm saving up the TP rolls, but don't have enough yet. I'd love to see what other people have created. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had, what I thought, was a brilliant idea! I'm using gift wrap rolls for mine! I've got several already empty to use!

    I guess if you wanted to be sure they were the EXACT same size and thickness, you could buy a few rolls at the dollar store, too. Can't wait to start!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is awesome ive made one wall art already and people cant even tell its t.p. roll. im working on this piece for over my bed. i have a mirror up and the wall is so large that it needs more to it. i cant wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete